At the request of Sexy Boston Sports’ facial hairologist Robert Boucini, I am participating in “Movember” this year. For those who don’t know what “Movember” is, here is the explanation directly from the source:
During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of moustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo’s, these men raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men. Once registered at www.movember.com, men start Movember 1st clean shaven. For the rest of the month, these selfless and generous men, known as Mo Bros, groom, trim and wax their way into the annals of fine moustachery. Supported by the women in their lives, Mo Sistas, Movember Mo Bros raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for their Mo-growing efforts.
Some fun facts about Eck:
- Eck did 2 tours of duty with the Red Sox. Eck's first run with the Sox came when he was 23 and his second when he was 43 (in 20 years between debuts he appeared to age no more than a couple years because, as they say, Eck don't crack)
- Along with John Smoltz, is the only pitcher in MLB history to have a season of 20 or more wins AND a season of 50 or more saves
- Considered the first 1 Inning closer
- A recovering alcoholic (not exactly a "fun" fact)
- Was traded for Bill Buckner in 1984 (again, not a "fun" fact)
- In 1992, won the Cy Young AND MVP Award as a reliever. As rare as this sounds, he was actually the third AL reliever to pull off the feat, all between 1981 and 1992. The voters must have been borrowing some of that sweet sweet crack from Paul Molitor.
- Of pitchers with at least 50 games pitched in a season, he has the 1st and 2nd best strike out to walk ratio, 18.33 in 1989 and 18.25 in 1990
- From 1989 to 1991 he struck out 215 batters and only walked 16, for a strike out to walk ratio of 13.44; if this were the rate for one season, it would still rank 4th best all time; for pitchers who have qualified for the ERA title (162 innings pitched; Eck threw 207 over these 3 years) it would rank first by 2.44
- In 1990 he faced 262 batters and walked 4 of them
- Still rocking the 'stache
So for me, Eck and the betterment of male health, please visit my donation page and give a little bit: http://mobro.co/sexybostonsports.